IMAGE BY BRANDON LAJOIE.
Whaaaat. Non-safety reasons full face helmets are great? But, Loryn, I thought this was a *safety* blog.
Well, yes, it is (more or less). But I’ve spent most of this month moving across the country, and I’ve tackled some serious discussions lately, so I think we all deserve a little fluff. And this fluff, my friends, is about all the little benefits you get (beyond the added protection) when you decide to wear a full-face helmet.
This list is hardly complete, and it’s definitely not serious. So, if you have any of your own quirky little benefits to wearing a full face helmet that I missed, please drop me a line in the comments!
Now, let’s start off easy…
- Keeps the bugs out of your eyes.
- And your teeth.
- You won’t get hit in the eye with pebbles and debris flying off the back of big trucks.
- You can use a face shield AND STILL be able to talk to people.
- In the summer, you can crack open the face shield for an instant jet of cool air, targeted right to your face.
- In the winter, tucking a scarf around your neck will keep you cozy and warm.
- Better aerodynamics when you’re going faster than 45 MPH.
- Leaf blowers on the side of the road. Fuck those guys.
- No blubber mouth!
- You never have to mess with goggles or sunglasses.
- Nobody can tell what face you’re making underneath.
- So you can make funny faces.
- Or pretend not to see someone.
- Also, you can flip someone off without them finding out who you are (unless you have a distinctive bike… then you’re screwed 😉 ).
- Full faces can double as a shopping basket.
- Or a place to stash your gloves.
- They won’t roll off the table.
- They can double as a footrest.
- Or, in a pinch, a place to sit.
- Keeps the wind noise out of your intercom mic.
- Helps protect your hearing (unless you have a crappy helmet… then, sorry).
- Keeps people from recognizing you on the road.
- You’ll fit in with the cool kids (yeah, I said it).
- There’s more surface area for pinstriping and your favorite YOLO quote about speed (you know it’s awesome).
- TRANSITIONS FACE SHIELDS. I need one so bad.
- And, they’re super sexy.
Also, because I can’t help myself… remember that nobody goes around dropping pianos on riders’ heads. If you’re in an accident, it’s likely to be head on.
So, protect your foxy mug, wear a full face 😉